garrygoeson
garrygoeson, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Over 27 years Repairing Pool & Spa Equipment,Gas Heaters,& Whirlpool Bath Tubs. Certified by many Pool & Spa Manufacturers.
64048604

I have a older Sundance Rio Spa. When I push jet button it

Customer Question

I have a older Sundance Rio Spa. When I push jet button it comes on the first speed probably the circulation speed. I hit jet button a second time and it stays in low circulation mode and does not go to high circulation mode. I wonder what might be causing these problem?
Category: Pool and Spa
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Spa seems to be holding temperature just fine. Also when I push jet button a second time pump and circulations completely stops instead of going to high jet flow.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
is anyone there?
Expert:  Billy replied 5 months ago.

I am very sorry your question has not been picked up yet.

I just logged on and found you had not been assisted.

Please let me know if you still need help and I will do my best. Please do not "Rate" as we have not worked toward an answer yet.

If you would like to proceed let me know by replying

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I still need help. It is a Sundance Rio. When I push the jet button it starts the pump in the circulation - filtration mode. When I push the jet button a second time which should be the operation mode the pump quits running nothing happens. Everything else seems to work. Heater maintains costant water temp. Underwater lights work .Thank you,Joe
Expert:  Billy replied 5 months ago.

this could be a couple items.

Do you have the schematic to where you could bypass the switch to the high speed winding?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Here is the schematic that is on inside of the control panel door.Can you tell me how to bypass the switch?Thanks,Joe
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
This model only has one pump. It does not have a pump # *****
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Billy,Maybe these pictures will help.Thank youJoe
Joe
Expert:  Billy replied 5 months ago.

Thank you...now at bottom of board pump 1...

there are 3 wires in a row..Red (hi)...white (Neutral)...black.(low)

swap the black and red and tell me first if the pump runs faster...please note..make changes with power off to the unit.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Billy,Yes when I swap the Red and Black wires it will run faster like it's does when working properly.Joe
Expert:  Billy replied 5 months ago.

great, so we know the motor is good and we can work backwards.

Now lets see if a relay is sticking...tap on the relay SHOWN HERE

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Nope tapping on the relay didn't do anything. Same symptoms as before.Joe
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have two old control boards that have been swapped out over the years so I looked and tried to remove a relay from on of them but I couldn't. They must be glued or soldered to the board.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Billy,Wonder what I can do next?
Joe
Expert:  garrygoeson replied 5 months ago.

Hi Joe:

My name is Garry. Looks like Billy opted out, so I'll be glad to assist you.

Since it was determined that the high speed windings on the pump motor are good, you could either have a faulty relay, or faulty top side control.

First thing to try is: Disconnect power to the spa. Unplug the two connectors from the Top Side Control at the circuit board. Carefully clean all the pins on the board that the connectors go to. Plug both connectors back in and power the spa up. Try the button for the high speed pump.

Let me know if it comes on? Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Found plug everything looked good no green corrosion but did clean the pug and pins did not help. Still same problem.Joe Skaggs

Well, then I comes down to either a faulty top-side control or board. If the relay on the board failed, they are not field replaceable. It is soldered on to the board, and if it is faulty, the recommendation is to replace the entire board.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok I have done that before. I have 2 old boards on hand that have gone bad in the past and I am wondering is there a place I could send one of them to have it repaired?Thanks Joe

http://www.circuitboardpro.com​

There was a couple of spa suppliers I would by parts from that would once do repairs, but they no longer do so. You can try the above site, to see if this would work for you. I have never used their services, so I have no idea on the quality of the work they do.

Joe:

If you feel I have helped you in a manner that is satisfactory, I would like to ask if you would submit one of the three Positive Ratings, as this is the only way I get credited, and therefore compensated for helping you with this. If, for some reason, you are not completely satisfied, please let me know first, as I would like the opportunity to make it possible for complete satisfaction to you.

I want you to know that if you later have additional questions on this topic, you can always post it here and I'll continue to help you at no additional cost to you. Thank you very much!

Best Regards,

Garry