Poolservice123, CPO, CPI, CBP
Experience:  40+ yrs, NSPF Instructor, NC Licensed SwimPool Contractor

I had a lightning strike near my house and tripped the

Customer Question

I had a lightning strike near my house and tripped the breaker to my bullfrog hot tub. I cannot get it to turn on. What should I do to determine what the problem is?
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  eddie22Island replied 3 months ago.

Hi Shannon.....................Im sure you know what breaker it is so if we could try one thing ..............I would like you to go to that breaker and then switch it ALL THE WAY off and then go in the opposite direction to switch it all the way you know if the hot tub has a GFCI on it ..........or plugged into one?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I've already reset the breaker in the box by my hot tub. I went to the box where the electricity comes in to my house and flipped that switch off and then back on. I don't know if it is a gfci or not.

I was hoping it would be something simple........but it might be internal on the tub itself so I will opt out and put this back in cue for one of my colleagues ............good luck

Expert:  Poolservice123 replied 3 months ago.

Many of the hot tubs have a fuse to protect the control box from lightening or electricity surges. I would need to know the model and year of tub to help guide you to where to look. Normally when I see the surge go past the protective fuse there is usually something else in the house that has blown as well. The GFCI will pick this up quicker on the hot tub electrical than other lines and trip the breaker and trip the fuse. GFCI breakers have the "test" switch on them just like in a bathroom. A lightening surge can also "fry" a GFCI breaker, see if you have a test button and push it. If it trips and the breaker has to b e reset then it is good if not, time to call an electrician to replace the breaker. Hopefully he will know about spas and can look for the fuse or check the circuit board. Again let me know model and year and I will see what brand control pack you have and location of fuse.