Poolservice123
Poolservice123, CPO, CPI, CBP
Experience:  40+ yrs, NSPF Instructor, NC Licensed SwimPool Contractor
67374415

Contractor is blaming my heater staining and this is after

Customer Question

contractor is blaming my heater for copper staining and this is after he just did the diamond brite. It has had 1 month chlorine to clean and stabilize finish. could that be the problem?? maybe he should of bypassed my heater.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: just started this last weekend
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: no I plan on the contractor to fix it
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: does chlorine cas copper staining if there was no PH
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Pool Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  Rick replied 5 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of you situation.

What is getting stained?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
the pool finish
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
hello
Expert:  Rick replied 5 months ago.

What is the pH of the pool water?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
i don't know we are at the end of a month of chlorine based was for diamond brite
to stabilize the aggregate
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
brushing down once a day looked like a dust or cream coming from diamond brite
Expert:  Rick replied 5 months ago.

Ok but that doesn't have anything to do with the copper staining. If the pH is low it will leach copper out of the heat exchanger in the heater.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
my question is could the chlorine cause copper staining from my heater with all that chlorine for a month
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
as far as I know it was just chlorine no stabilizer as I had the water tested this weekend
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
no stabilizer detected he did mention that
Expert:  Rick replied 5 months ago.

It's possible that chlorine in high enough concentrations could cause some copper to leach out of the the heat exchanger which could cause copper staining

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
if there is no stabilizer would that cause low ph
Expert:  Rick replied 5 months ago.

Not necessarily

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
what about my system was salt water and for the last month it has had chlorine
, what would cause low ph
Expert:  Rick replied 5 months ago.

I'm going to open this up to my colleagues so one of them can help. Please don't respond (even to acknowledge this post)until you get a response from us. If you respond first it will only delay your answer.

Expert:  Poolservice123 replied 5 months ago.

First of all after a plaster refinish, no salt should be added to the pool for a minimum of 30 days. This is due to the minerals of the salt interfering with the calcium in the plaster. I will find the start up procedure and post for you the link. Is the staining a blue color? Did you add any powder type chlorine or algaecide to pool? Also I would like to note that the pH of the pool after plaster has a tendency to raise and has to be carefully monitored for 30 days also. The dust is normal.

Some people say 14 days on the salt water. I am trying to find this for you.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
it is the copper staining that has happened and i would like to know how this happened. My system did not just start to leech out all this copper to stain the pool something did this

A sequesterer should have been added to prevent this. If you have a heater and you are adding large amount of acid (which is common after a re plaster) the acid can take copper from the heat exchangers and deposit it in the pool. High levels of chlorine can also produce copper salts causing staining as well, especially in soft plaster. The combination of copper being present and chlorine being in water will allow the staining to occur. A sequestering product is always added to new plaster as it can stain so easily - even a garden hose touching the plaster while it is filling. However, check to see if any algaecide added was copper based. Also, there are powder chlorines in the market that have "algaecide" in it which is copper added. Here for your files is Diamond Brite start up:

http://www.sgm.cc/pdf/InfoSheets/Diamond_Brite_web.pdf I am trying to find the National Plasterers Council directions as well. Your heater should have a "by-pass" on it that you can turn off water going into the heater. This is what you do when not heating the pool so the copper tubing is not exposed to chemicals unnecessarily. A by pass would be plumbing with valves when turned that would direct water away from the heater.

HIgh velocity of water can also wear copper off from your heater. This will be evident when you open the heater and examine the heat exchangers.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am going to print this conversation and show it to him. Thank you for your honest answers and help in this matter.
Sean Branigan

If we can help guide you, please come back and visit. Please rate me so I get credit for answering. Staining doesn't stop swimming so have a great 4th of July.