Fix my Pool and Spa
Fix my Pool and Spa, Owner / Technition
Experience:  Over 24 years in pool and spa service and construction
30729442

I have a Sta rite spa pump with new "o" ring and I suspect

Customer Question

I have a Sta rite spa pump with new "o" ring and I suspect the clamp###-##-####is stretched because I cannot get it to stop leaking between the two housings. Does this sound reasonable ? Do I need a new clamp?
JA: How old is the pump? And have you checked the gaskets?
Customer: Pump is about 15 yrs old. Gaskets were changed to ensure that was not the problem. Water is clearly leaking from between the two housings
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Sure or take it to "commercial pools plus" who did the gasket work earlier, but I'm very suspicious of the clamp because of the age.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: T-bolt on clamp appears to be bent alittle from year of tightening. I trie washer ing out knob to increase tightness but I think it tightens in areas not needed
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Pool Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  Fix my Pool and Spa replied 5 months ago.

These pump housing are a pain in the butt I agree. I have found that when you install a new band gasket-o-ring you need to use AQUA LUBE to lubricate the big o-ring and get a seal between the two plates you can use other lube's just do not use a patrollium based lube as this can ruin the o-rings use a Silicone based one.. Also I would re-inspect the two plates for any signs of a crack. As for the clamp... as long as when you put the band clamp together you have some of the threads coming through and it tightens done you should be good, you can add some washers to help tighten it as well.