poolguy810, owner - pool and spa service company
Experience:  Servicing pools and all brands of spas for over 28 years.

I have a Purex Triton Mini-max 400 pool / spa heater. I

Customer Question

I have a Purex Triton Mini-max 400 pool / spa heater. I can't get the heater to come on or when it does come on it shuts off. I replaced the pressure valve but no change
JA: Sometimes pool issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Pool Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.
Customer: I have a Purex Triton Mini/ max 400 pool/spa heater. I am having issues with it staying on, or not coming on at all. I just replaced the pressure Valve and no change
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Pool Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  Russell H. replied 4 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

The first thing you should do, is check the filter. Remove it, and clean it. If clogged the least bit, it could impede the heater staying On, by heat-sensitive shutdown.

But there could be other things wrong, causing the problem.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Really that's the only answer you have. Well that was a big waste of my money.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I would recommend you at Just Answer get some real experts. Obliviously I know more than your supposed tech. I'm extremely disappointed

I do have other answers. I don't just offer one response and leave, you know - I keep working with customers until either a good answer is found, or I cede the work to another Expert, pretty much.

Um, your remark is not getting to anyone but me. I will Opt Out if you want the whole Expert body to see it, and allow one that is more impressive than I am, to try to help you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Russell I just need more of an answer than check the filters. I know the filters are fine. I have two on my pool. One for the pool and one that cleans for my spa. Both are clean. What I need to know is, if I change out the board that operates the thermostat. Would that be the next solution?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Or do I spend $700 to $ 800 and replace the mother board? I'm really trying to avoid buying a new $3000 heater

That would be a thing to try. The control board for the thermostat could be bad, yes.

But what about the thermostat itself? have you done a minimal heating/cooling test on it? e.g. trying it when it is cool, or when it is hot?

Also re-seat all connections, make sure no wires are severely bent, or frayed, or even broken-but-hanging-by-a-thread. Unlikely, but worth a brief check and a try.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have done any testing on the temp only because I can't get the heater to come on at all right now.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Haven't done any testing
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have checked all the wiring. It all looks good

Right. What I meant was, cooling the thermostat as much as possible - with a fan, maybe - before trying it, to see if it responds appropriately, or, whether it affects performance at all or the length of time the heater stays On.

Too much pre-cooling of the thermostat would of course not be a good idea.