garrygoeson
garrygoeson, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Over 27 years Repairing Pool & Spa Equipment,Gas Heaters,& Whirlpool Bath Tubs. Certified by many Pool & Spa Manufacturers.
64048604

My rp2100 goes on runs half hour than stops, and the red

Customer Question

my rp2100 goes on runs for about half hour than stops
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: and the red service light turns on
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I shut it off wait 10 seconds goes on for another 30 minutes same thing
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: i opened the back of the switch i see the right sensor swich is on
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Pool Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  garrygoeson replied 5 months ago.

Hi:

My name is Garry. I'll be glad to assist you with you heater.

The heater is manufactured by Raypak and RP2100 is the series. I would need to get the model and serial number, and type of gas it operates on (natural or propane)?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
natural gas model # ***** 399000 btu

Thank you for sending my requested information. One other question: Does the front panel of the heater have 2 round dials, (to set temperature), and 4 lights to the left of the dials, (1. SERVICE 2. PRESSURE/HIGH LIMIT 3.CALL FOR HEAT 4.POWER) ?

If you do have this panel, did you open it and look on the back of the circuit board and see a light on that said, "Sensor Fail" ?

Or was the other light on that said, "Overtemp Fail"?

I will need to know if any of these lights were on at the time the heater shut down, and if so, which specific one or ones are on??

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
it has 2 dials and both red light where on

O.K. Besides the Red Service light on the front of the panel, what other red light(s) are on? If it is on the back of the circuit board, Tell me what is written next to it?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
both the overheat fail and senor fail

Are you also getting the Red PRESSURE/HIGH LIMIT light on he front of the panel to come on?

If both of the lights on the back of the circuit board are coming on, and the Red PRESSURE/HIGH LIMIT light on the front panel is NOT coming on, you may then have a defective circuit board.

Do you also get the LIMIT SITCH FAIL light to come on at the back of the circuit board?

Since your heater is 20 years old, and you are getting BOTH lights coming on, I would say there is a good chance the board has failed.

If you have an Ohmmeter, you could test the sensor, or you could try replacing it if you have no way to test it.

Let me know what you want to try next.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
the front light hoes on to
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have an extra board it happens the same can you tell me where the sensor is
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Can you tell me how to test it is have a meter
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
actually I just took a pic the over heat was on not the sensor

If you're getting the "Overtemp Fail" light to come on, this could indicate too much residual heat in the heat exchanger. When cooler water is introduced into the heat exchanger, it should automatically reset. Make sure the water going into the heat exchanger is not too hot. A restriction of water flow can cause the water entering the heater to be too hot, and this will cause the overtemp problem

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Where would be the restriction it flowing normal

The hi limit sensor is located on the return Header, and the temperature sensor is located on the Inlet/Outlet Header.

The restriction could be anywhere from the pump or filter or in the lines. To know if there is a restriction, it requires being at your location and observing how the water is flowing.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It's flowing perfect good

You can remove the Unitherm Governor and test it by placing it in hot water to see if it opens properly.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
How do i open it
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I can't get to it
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
why when I unplug and plug back in it resets

Do to the complexity of the problem with your heater, it may be to your advantage to have a service tech come to your location, as there are too many factors to troubleshoot this from my end.

If you feel you really want to try to troubleshoot this on your own, I will opt out, so your question will go back on the board with the hope that one of our Experts here can further assist you.

Please don't reply until you are contacted by the other Expert. Thank you