tomen99
tomen99, Handyman
Experience:  Certified pool operator and maintenance supervisor
63148040

I purchased a sand filter a year ago the pool maintenance

Customer Question

I purchased a sand filter a year ago the pool maintenance company says The sand filter is too small to run the 18 x 36 pool. He says I should go back to a DE filter. should I ? Or should I get a larger sand filter?
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  tomen99 replied 5 months ago.
Sand is usually cheaper to maintain and lasts longer. The size particle it removes is not as small so there is a trade off? Filters have rated flow rates. If you are not exceeding the flow rate of the filter and only run it part time you could probably just run it all the time or more often to avoid replacing a fairly new unit. If you have more questions please try to be as detailed as possible so I can give you the most accurate answer. Thanks
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I don't understand your answer He says the filter is running 24/7 but it's not large enough to keep the pool clear. It's a Hayward Pro series high rate sand filter
(Files attached )
For an 18x36 pool
Expert:  tomen99 replied 5 months ago.
The de filter will be more maintenance heavy meaning more work and money. It will take smaller particles out than the sand filter so if particle size is the problem you need a de filter. Sand is generally cheaper to install and very low cost to maintain. If your pump and filter were sized correctly then a larger sand filter will only increase performance if you are able to filter more water by increasing the flow.
Expert:  tomen99 replied 5 months ago.
If you are asking if a de filter does a superior job to sand filters the answer is absolutely yes.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I had a DE filter and changed to sand filter. Problem is the pool maintenance guy says the sand filter is not big enough to clear the pool. My question is. Should I go back to a DE filter as he suggests. Or purchase a bigger sand filter to service an 18x36 pool. Or do I need a bigger motor. I DONT want to go back to DE because it was too costly.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I just want to know what my options are besides getting a DE filter as he is making it seem as though it is the only option
Expert:  tomen99 replied 5 months ago.
Do you know the gallons of the pool and flow rate of the pump? Is the water cloudy now?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
36,000 gallons
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Pool is not open yet
He is trying to change the sand filter during opening just want to know my options besides getting a de filter
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm sorry 25,000 gallons in pool
Expert:  tomen99 replied 5 months ago.
With the filter running at 60 gpm all the time then it puts your turnover rate (how long it takes to filter the whole pool) at approx 6 hours. That is less than the minimum 8 hours. If it doesn't keep the pool clear at that rate then chances are you need the better filtration ability of de. If it ran last year with no issue then I wouldn't fix what isn't broke.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It took days for the pool to clear last year. I thought I could get a larger sand filter with more horse power or there were more options than going back to de. It's so expensive
Expert:  tomen99 replied 5 months ago.
Unfortunately pools are expensive. If you upsize the filter and double the flow which would likely be what it would take you will need to replumb the pool to accommodate double the flow and even then there is no guarantee that it will improve if the particles in the pool are small enough to penetrate the sand bed. He isn't leading you down the path that makes them more money it is the solution if you want a clear pool. Cartridge filters are really the only type I haven't mentioned and they would require frequent replacement that would not be cost effective.