tomen99
tomen99, Handyman
Experience:  Certified pool operator and maintenance supervisor
63148040

I have a c100 filter the pressure on the gauge is reading 17

Customer Question

I have a c100 filter the pressure on the gauge is reading 17 but the return pressure is very low
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  tomen99 replied 5 months ago.
The pressure gauge reads the pressure before the filter media. Either the filter is clogged with debris or other clog, or the media needs replaced.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The filter is new
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Is there a check valve or anything
Expert:  tomen99 replied 5 months ago.
You have a star clear Hayward filter housing? It shouldn't but that is not to say that there isn't one in your plumbing somewhere? Did the problem start when you changed the filter? Can you run it with the cartridge removed to see if it improves?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
That made a huge difference it is almost to much pressure now
Expert:  tomen99 replied 5 months ago.
Ok then this could pretty much only be 2 things. 1 the filter is bad, 2 the impeller on the pump is too worn to overcome the backpressure of the filter. Unless this is a whole new install in which case it may be the best that it can do.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I noticed when I took lid off to put filter back in the tank was not all the way full plus it built so much pressure before I put filter back in that it blew one of my hoses off. How do I check impeller?
Expert:  tomen99 replied 5 months ago.
I don't know what pump you have but you will need to be able to see into the wet end either by removing piping or if possible removing the pump from the impeller housing. FYI the impeller is the part that spins and pushes the water.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have attached picture of pump
Expert:  tomen99 replied 5 months ago.
I can't make out the model but the silver bolts that hold the strainer pot to the pump should allo you to see it. If it blows hoses off in doubting that it the problem.