Steve G., Handyman
Experience:  VP of electronic repair company and home theater advisor.

How can i tell if my pump and filter are working correctly.

Customer Question

how can i tell if my pump and filter are working correctly. i just put new sand in this year and have had water tested and put all kinds of chemicals in but pool green. i really think my filter should be putting out a heavier flow. how can i test to see
JA: Sometimes pool issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Pool Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: is there a check i can do to see if my filter is working properly and my pump putting out enough flow
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: i put new sand in my filter this year and had my water tested and have put all kinds of chemicals in and my water is green still
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Pool Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  Steve G. replied 4 months ago.

Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way.

I need to gather some more information from you in order to help.

In order to get the green out of your pool, you first have to kill the algae. You can do this by shocking the pool and then applying a good algaecide like Yellow Out or Green Out.

Once the algae is dead, the filter can then remove it.

Can you tell me EXACTLY what you have done so far.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i had my water tested friday and he said my chlorine level was good and did not have algae. he had me put in copper sequestering agent, 1 pt muriatic acid, 10 lbs calicum chloride and 1 ptphosphate remover
Expert:  Steve G. replied 4 months ago.

Ok, what is the make and model of the filter?

Does it have a pressure gauge?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
dreamline S170TSCP and yes it has a pressure gauge hayward power flo 1.0 SP1580FP and i have a backup filter that is a hayward 1.5 hp SP1580X15. i though my newer filter the one hp wasnt working correctly because it wasnt a steady flow it was kinda bubbling.
Expert:  Steve G. replied 4 months ago.
Ok. Is this an above ground pool? About how many gallons?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
above ground 12000
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i put in new sand in filter this year bc it is 4 yrs old. i see where you are suppose to fill filter half full of water b4 adding sand and i dont think he did will that make a difference
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
are you still with me
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
are we still working
Expert:  Steve G. replied 4 months ago.
I'm sorry. I can't do a phone call from where I am at this time. I will opt out and another pool expert can help you. Hold on.