WCohn, Construction Worker
Experience:  Been in contruction 18+years

Thank you. I have a Jacuzzi j480 that is really goofing up.

Customer Question

Hello and thank you. I have a Jacuzzi j480 that is really goofing up. First the LEDs stopped working. Several months later it started a slow leak. Can't tell where it's leaking. Goes down about an inch or two per week.
Just this week I heard one of the jets come on and off several times in a minute. The panel displayed "hold". The temp was 101 but set at 99. The other jet button would not respond at all nor could I change the other . This would happen for a while then all stopped. The next day I went to see about it and the same issues occurred and the temp read 104. When it got to 108 I shut it down. Today I powered up, temp read 94 which is about the high lately here in Texas, but the heater will not stop running even when I lowered the thermostat to 80.
Looking for answers and direction.
David in Dallas
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  WCohn replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi William,
Any ideas so far?
Expert:  WCohn replied 4 months ago.

The thermostat is bad.

its not cutting the power when the set temp is reached. How old is the spa?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
2007 model. So that is why one of the jet pumps cuts on and off? And the LEDs?
Expert:  WCohn replied 4 months ago.

No, but it might be the controller that is not taking the signal from the thermostat. You might want to look at replacing the spa pack that would cure all possible causes

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Spa pack?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Any ideas on finding a hidden leak?
Expert:  WCohn replied 4 months ago.

The leak is not something I can help you with. There are no secrets to finding them other than tracing them back to the source. Remember once water is not under pressure its gravity that determines where it flows. I'll post a link to the web page of the spa paks I use

Expert:  WCohn replied 4 months ago.

I really like the SMARTTOUCH 1000. You can buy them here

Expert:  WCohn replied 4 months ago.

This site works off of an honor system. A positive rating would be great since I answered your original question.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I understand. I was under the impression that it was the problem and not the question we are working for.
Does the controller pry off or is attached underneath?
Expert:  WCohn replied 4 months ago.

They usually snap in place. If you can gain access from underneath you'll see how they work.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok, I took the Controll pad apart and cleaned out a moth and dirt. Fixed the water leak. Drained and refilled. Got the LEDs working as well as the pumps. The pad flashes the time-flow-time-cool-time and over again. I cannot get the flow going thru the heater which does not come on nor show on display. I have ordered a thermostat. I vented the air out of that pump side. Ideas?
Expert:  WCohn replied 4 months ago.

Good job on what you've done so far!! So both pumps work? But no flow sensed?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Correct. I even removed the flow Spenser to see if it was trapped in a bubble
Expert:  WCohn replied 4 months ago.

Have you checked the connection of the flow sensor to the pcb ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
as far as wiggling and reconnecting. I couldn't find a multimeter to check current. If the flow senser is bad will it shut off flow and keep heater from coming on?
Expert:  WCohn replied 4 months ago.
That its sole purpose. It's there to make sure you don't dry fire the heater. It's next on the list of things to replace.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Expert:  WCohn replied 4 months ago.

Now I believe I have answered all your questions. At least until you get the parts. In the mean time I'd appreciate a positive rating.