garrygoeson, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Over 27 years Repairing Pool & Spa Equipment,Gas Heaters,& Whirlpool Bath Tubs. Certified by many Pool & Spa Manufacturers.

I just moved a 2001 optima from one location to another- the

Customer Question

i just moved a 2001 optima from one location to another- the tub keeps flipping a newly installed GFCI switch. I have not yet filled the tub- I wondered if filling it (and thereby levelling it better) will make a difference?
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  garrygoeson replied 4 months ago.

My name is Garry. I'll be glad to assist you with your spa.

It is never advisable to operate any spa without water in it. I recommend filling the tub first, then set the temp and run the spa. If it still trips the breaker, then we can proceed with troubleshooting the spa to find the cause.

Please let me know what you find and we can continue from there. Thank you.

Just checking back to see if you had a chance to fill the spa? Is the GFCI breaker still tripping?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi there- haven't been able to make it over to the tub yet, but will give it a try tomorrow, stay tuned, thanks ��

OK! I'll stay tuned, and I won't touch that dial!!! (LOL). Just post your findings here when you get the chance. Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi there. I filled the tub and flipped the breaker on- No action at all ( no breaker tripped either). The electrician says that when he tried it (tub empty) the breaker tripped. Any ideas now?? Thanks.

The next thing that will need to be done is to determine what voltage, if any, is coming into the spa? You will need a voltmeter capable of measuring 240 volts. I don't know if this is beyond your scope of ability? If so, you will need to contact your electrician.

Since I can't be at your location, I'll need at least this information to give you ideas on what may be going on with your spa.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The electrician is coming tomorrow- I'm sure he put in 240 volts as we were working from the Optima 2001 owner's manual- inspection is tomorrow morning-
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
when electrician first flipped breaker on water was NOT in tub- (forgive the capitalization that follows- I'm not touch typist, acidentally hit caps lock!) and the BREAKER FLIPPED OFF. I THINK HE DID THIS MORE THAN ONCE. I FILLED the TUB, FLIPPED ON the BREAKER, it did not TRIP- NO ACTION AT ALL. So one I filled the tub, there was a different response than previous, but no joy yet.

Sometimes the breaker could actually trip, but it could appear that it hasn't. Anyway, since your electrician is coming tomorrow. have him measure voltage coming into breaker box and voltage coming into the spa. Let me know what he finds, so I can know what the next step will be! Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
240 voltage coming in- and yes, it is tripping- (I was mistaken) electrician's work was inspected and vetted this am. He suggested a bring a Sundance tech to visit (not just virtual)...
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
though I hope you would take no offense :)

You more than likely have a ground fault in one or more pieces of equipment connected to the spa, (i.e. pump(s), light, ozone unit, etc.). The breaker you have connected to the spa has a GFI protection circuit in it, and that's why it could be tripping.

You would need to disconnect each piece of equipment, one at a time to find the fault. It probably would be best to have a tech come to your location, because once the fault is found, they should have the experience needed to take care of this for you. There is no offense taken on my part, as I agree with your electrician completely!

It would be GREATLY appreciated if you could submit a Positive Rating before you leave this thread, as this is the only way I get compensated for the time I spent assisting you with this. If you later have questions on this topic, you can always post it here again. Thank you very much.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm happy with your attempt and will attest to that! But first I am going to request a refund because I dont think my problem was solvable via this service- but I will definitely credit you with a good attempt. Thanks!

Well, thank you for at least acknowledging my input. Sometimes, not all repairs, whether with spas, or any electro mechanical machinery, is not always repairable with a simple act. Unfortunately, since we can't be at your location to see first hand what the situation is, we have to be dependent on the equipment owner to be our eyes and ears, and this limits our ability greatly.

However, the policy of "Just Answer" is that you are not required to pay for this service unless you are 100 per cent satisfied, and for that reason I understand your reason for wanting a refund. I wish you the best, ***** ***** ***** ***** can have the tech that comes out repair your spa quickly and inexpensively.

Best Regards, Garry