Fix my Pool and Spa
Fix my Pool and Spa, Owner / Technition
Experience:  Over 24 years in pool and spa service and construction
30729442

How do I change the de on a Haywood perflex EC40

Customer Question

how do I change the de on a Haywood perflex EC40
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  Fix my Pool and Spa replied 11 months ago.

It is very easy to do. On your filter you have the bump handle on the filter lid, this will come into play.

First turn off pool system, next remove the drain on the bottom in the back of the filter tank, sometimes there is a white ball valve and sometimes just a threaded plug, if just the plug remove it. Now grab the bump handle and jerk it up and down several times, this is the bumping effect that you need to generate to get the DE powder to fall off the fingers on the inside of the tank, next turn the pump back on with the drain plug on filter out, this will start to spray the dirty water and old DE out the bottom drain of filter. Let system run for 30 seconds then turn off pump, bump the handle again up and down and turn on pump again, this will continue to release the dirty water and DE out of filter. Repeat this step two to three times, then turn off pump re-install the filter plug in the back and turn pump back on and watch pressure guage rise inside tank, bleed off excess air with the small black air bleed and once tank is full and water is coming back out of the pool returns get your DE powder and take it over to the skimmer on pool, this is where the white baskets are in the pool. Add the new DE into the skimmer slowly allowing the powder to dissolve into the water and get sucked into pump then ultimately into filter. You need to read the front label on the filter to see how much powder to put in but in most cases it is 5 lbs of DE. If you do not own an orange DE scoop you can use a 1 pound coffee can but know that a coffee can is slightly smaller than a 1 lb DE scoop so do 6 coffee cans.