Poolservice123
Poolservice123, CPO, CPI, CBP
Experience:  40+ yrs, NSPF Instructor, NC Licensed SwimPool Contractor
67374415

My pool is running and then it will begin draining itself

Customer Question

My pool is running and then it will begin draining itself into the alley. I checked to make sure it is on filter and drain. It is on filter.
JA: Sometimes pool issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Pool Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: Ok
JA: Is there anything else the Pool Technician should be aware of?
Customer: This is the second time it has done this. We replaces a torn gasket inside the pot that has the handle on it. The one you turn to do different actions. We hoped that was it. But I started it up today and it started draining itself again.
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box. OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box. OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Pool Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  Billy replied 5 months ago.

I am very sorry your question has not been picked up yet.

I just logged on and found you had not been assisted.

Please let me know if you still need help and I will do my best. Please do not "Rate" as we have not worked toward an answer yet.

If you would like to proceed let me know by replying

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I never got an answer. Were you able to find one? -Dawn
Expert:  Poolservice123 replied 5 months ago.

The filter multiport valve has more than likely had a breach in the spoke gasket. This would allow water to run from one port (position) to another. So while you are in filter, the water is breaching the seal and running out your backwash line. This is a common occurance. Some valves have gaskets that can be replaced and others will require the "valve seat assembly" to be replaced. The model of the valve would have to be given for me to give you part numbers.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you. Yes that was the problem. Since I hadn't heard back, I called a pool service. Here in Tx the water turns green pretty fast so I was trying to get it fixed asap. Thank you again. -Dawn

Thank you for your reply and let us know if we can help in the future.