Steve G., Handyman
Experience:  VP of electronic repair company and home theater advisor.

Filter trips the outlet button as soon as it's plugged in.

Customer Question

filter trips the outlet button as soon as it's plugged in. Tried two different outlets with the same result
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  Steve G. replied 4 months ago.

Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way.

What is the make and model of your filter?

Let me know and we can continue.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hayward Xtreme Model CC10092S
Expert:  Steve G. replied 4 months ago.

Ok, let me pull the info on that and I'll be right back.

Expert:  Steve G. replied 4 months ago.

Ok, so this filter has a 1HP circulation pump attached.

About how old is the pump?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
We purchased the house with the pool, etc already in place. I would guess about 4-5 years
Expert:  Steve G. replied 4 months ago.

Ok - is this the first time you have tried to start it or has it been working fine since you moved in?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
This is the third summer we've used it. Worked fine before and this spring until last night
Expert:  Steve G. replied 4 months ago.

Ok. You have ruled out the GFI.

The motor is probably bad. These pool motors are susceptible to failure just like any other motor that is outside and exposed to the elements. GFI devices are very sensitive and the slightest imbalance between the currents in the hot and neutral will cause the device to trip.

You could have the motor tested at a pool store - call first to see if they can do that.

Hold on please and let me look up the cost of a replacement motor. I won't be long.

Expert:  Steve G. replied 4 months ago.

According to this vendor, the complete pump assembly is $210-$230 depending on the horsepower. I am in no way affiliated with the vendor - he was the cheapest.

You can also replace just the motor. That would be cheaper but you would have to do the work.

So to surmise, call your local pool store and ask them if they can "megger out" a pool pump motor. If they can, have them check it out. Assuming the motor is bad, replace the motor or the entire pump.

Please let me know if I can help you further.