Steve G., Handyman
Experience:  VP of electronic repair company and home theater advisor.

My caldera spa main jets doesnt work nor does the heater : I

Customer Question

my caldera spa main jets doesnt work nor does the heater
JA: Sometimes pool issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Pool Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: I replaced the heater relay board witch was bad but still have the same problem
JA: Is there anything else the Pool Technician should be aware of?
Customer: not that I can think of
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Pool Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  Steve G. replied 4 months ago.

Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way.

Can you give me the model name or number of your Caldera spa please?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Caldera utopia
Expert:  Steve G. replied 4 months ago.

Ok. About how old is this spa? I assume that up to recently, the heater and the jets worked fine?

Or is it brand new?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Expert:  Steve G. replied 4 months ago.

Ok. Your spa has two pumps. One is a dual speed and one is likely single speed that does general circulation.

The pumps will fail eventually doe to age and use. A pump is actually an electric motor and an impeller "pump" that is attached to the shaft of the motor. The impeller can bind up and stop the motor - you will sometimes hear a humming, OR the motor itself can fail. Either way, we need to get a voltmeter and take a look inside the spa.

The heating element likely needs to be replaced. They rust out and fail. 10 years is average. That is not expensive to replace.

Let me know if you get the cover off and we can check a few things.

Is that something you can do?