Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 48 years Experience
29848548

I need to convert my 4 gh voltage swimming pool lights

Customer Question

i need to convert my 4 high voltage swimming pool lights (underwater) to low voltage, The bulbs screw in to the sockets like regular flood light bulbs. I want to use the same wiring and same sockets if possible,
I will need a transformer also. I want to go over the wattage requirements by 25%, can you tell me where to get the transformer and bulbs and provide your opinion on the feasibility of what I want to do. Thank You
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) You 1st need to locate or purchase the low voltage bulbs and confirm if they will have the same Edison based threads that will fit into the existing sockets.

2) Next step is the total quantity of bulbs with the wattage rating needs to be confirmed in order to size the transformer.

3) Next step is to calculate and size the low voltage transformer.

4) Also need to know the approximate distance from the transformer to the last light bulb in the chain in order to calculate the voltage drop.

5) How many low volts will the transformer be? 120 VAC to 12 VDC or a different low voltage size?

Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.

What is the existing wire size?

Expert:  Mike G. replied 6 months ago.

H, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. You can use an A19LED lamp 12VDC equal to 105W lamp. 4 lamps will need a 12VDC transformer with a minimum 4A output. Available at the link below.

http://www.superbrightled.com

Expert:  Mike G. replied 6 months ago.

A 300W outdoor Malibu transformer is available on eBay for $27.00.