Homebuilder Jay
Homebuilder Jay, General Contractor
Experience:  Experience with new pool construction and repairs.
14716023

My pool was flooded with mulch and debris after a severe

Customer Question

my pool was flooded with mulch and debris after a severe thunderstorm. It is brown and cloudy. I'm new to working with a pool. Should I just not even try, or is there something I can do right now to get it on the road to recovery?
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  Homebuilder Jay replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer.

I am sorry to hear about the problem you are having with your pool, but I do have some suggestions on how to get you back to enjoying your pool. The first step is going to be to use your extension pole and remove any loss debris off of the top of the water. Next you are going to brush the sides, bottom, stairs and any other structures of pool surfaces. I recommend brushing towards the main drain in the bottom of the pool. Now that brushing is complete, move on to the vacuum phase. Manually vacuum the pool surfaces with the filter set to "waste". This will allow you to vacuum the debris directly out of the pool. Now that the pool has the loose debris removed you can test the water. I see that you have already tested the water and have added some shock which was the correct action to take.

The chemical item that might be moved significantly out of line is the pH. It is important that the pH be close to 7.4 or 7.5 to ensure that your chlorine is effective. pH of rainwater could be 8.0 or higher. If your pH is high you will need to add acid to lower the pH and “wake up” your chlorine. Also make sure you have enough free chlorine working in the water. I would suggest 2-4 ppm minimum. If the swimming pool water is really cloudy you may need to shock or super chlorinate (which you have already done). You will also need to have your TA between 80-120 for your pH to be stabilized. This equipment should be left running throughout this process until the water becomes clear again.

The time for your filter to clear the water will also depend on the type of filter on your pool. A DE filter it could be a matter of hours. Cartridge Filter could be a couple of days. A sand filter may take several more days.

I understand that you are new at taking care of the pool so it may be a challenge to get things back on track after such a severe rain and contamination event. If the water is not clearing up after these attempts then you can always contact a local pool company for a 1 time service. I hope this has been helpful and please feel free to post any follow-up questions you may have.