Fix my Pool and Spa
Fix my Pool and Spa, Owner / Technition
Experience:  Over 24 years in pool and spa service and construction
30729442

Bought new pump last year. At end of year I drained the pump

Customer Question

Bought new pump last year. At end of year I drained the pump and removed all water and shut off water supply. Went to start up motor, primed the pump and turned on water supply and the motor is just humming. Any easy solutions that I can try myself?
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  Fix my Pool and Spa replied 6 months ago.

OK there is a procedure but it is a little hard to do. You need to turn off power, take off the back cover of the pump, inside there you should see the back of the motor shaft. You need to look at the shaft and see where you can grab it with pliers and manually rotate it around clockwise direction. Sometimes dirt or sand get into motor over winter and bind up the shaft. Once you can freely turn the motor shaft then turn power back on and see if pump operates.

If it still does not operate then it may be the starting capacitor in the motor. That is a silver cup looking piece that has wires going to the top of it. Google motor starting capacitors to see a picture of it. You must replace the part with the exact same number part.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Your suggestion did not help. As it turned out the installer installed the sand filter too close to the pump and I was unable to remove to end cap of the pump. The original installer had to come out and reroute the pic pipe and move the sand filter away from the pump. There was nothing I could do since I am not a plummer. Do I owe you? He told me they have had a lot of trouble with Hayward pumps sticking this year for some reason. This is only the second year for the pump.

Well technically I think my response was correct but you had no ability to follow through due to access so I will leave the decision up to you if I deserve the payment.

Thank You