poolguy810, owner - pool and spa service company
Experience:  Servicing pools and all brands of spas for over 28 years.

I am having trouble with my skimmer suction : My pump is

Customer Question

Hi Pearl I am having trouble with my skimmer suction
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: My pump is working fine when I solely have it turned to the main drain suction
JA: Is there anything else the Pool Technician should be aware of?
Customer: Thats the only problem i am having at this time
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Pool Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  Poolservice123 replied 4 months ago.

Good morning.

I am assuming that when you turn your valve so that water is also coming from your skimmer that you lose prime in the pump or air is entering system and the pump cavitates (make noises) is that correct?

I need to be sure that you also have enough water in the swimming pool. Sometimes overnight there can be evaporation this time of year in large amounts. Is the water at a minimum half way up the skimmer faceplate in the pool? Also check to see if the skimmer weir (door, flappy thing) is not stuck in the upright position blocking flow of water.