Fix my Pool and Spa
Fix my Pool and Spa, Owner / Technition
Experience:  Over 24 years in pool and spa service and construction

When my pool runs,water drains out.I'm not sure but i think

Customer Question

when my pool runs,water drains out.I'm not sure but i think they might have installed hydrastatic valves in the drain area. When I shut the pool off no leaks at all. Puzzled. this has been ongoing since the pool was installed. I'm frustrated
JA: Sometimes pool issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Pool Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Pool Technician should be aware of?
Customer: no thats all
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Pool Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  Fix my Pool and Spa replied 4 months ago.

It sounds to me like you have a leak in a return line. When the pool is off you have just stagnant water in the lines, and the leak is not apparent but when you turn the pool on you are pushing water through the lines and if it is a small crack it is most likely pushing the water out the crack and that is why you notice the leak only when it was running. When someone only looses water when pool OFF it is usually a suction line. I would say to hire a pool professional to pressure test the return lines to find out what line is leaking. The hydro stats would not change the leaking with pool off.