Brian HVAC Guy
Brian HVAC Guy, HVAC Technician
Experience:  I have been an HVAC/R mechanic/technician for 30+ years.
67988511

I have Hayward heat pump with an LP code the water

Customer Question

I have Hayward heat pump with an LP code the water temperature was at 52 degrees could that be the cause as opposed to low air temp ? Current air temperature is 78 Just asked about a Hayward heat pump LP code and lost web connection did I miss an answer
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: Well just opened the pool and am getting an LP code water temp is 52 degrees prior reasearch said air temp of 52 could cause freon to freeze I'm wondering if that could happen with water temperature also air temperature is currently 76
JA: Sometimes pool issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Pool Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Pool Technician should be aware of?
Customer: Current filter pressure is 20lbs with strong flow into the pool
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Pool Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  Brian HVAC Guy replied 6 months ago.
Hi I'm Brian and I'm here to help! Yes, a 52 degree water temperature can cause an LP (low pressure) fault. Especially with an outdoor temperature at only 76. What you try until the water heats up some is to throttle back on the return water to the pool with one of your valves. If you throttle it back too much though, you will trip the low water flow cut off. It's a fine balance. Make sure you mark any valve you change if it's not fully open before you start to close down on it so you can return it to its previous position after the pool gets up to temperature. You may have to throttle the valve down halfway closed or better. Let me know if you have further questions on this subject. Otherwise, please remember to rate before leaving (3 stars or higher please!). Bonuses are always appreciated! Thanks for allowing me to help and thanks for using Just Answer!Thank you,Brian