Poolservice123, CPO, CPI, CBP
Experience:  40+ yrs, NSPF Instructor, NC Licensed SwimPool Contractor

I have a 28 X 17 X 46 Inch deep pool That has been drained &

Customer Question

I have a 28 X 17 X 46 Inch deep pool That has been drained & refilled with well water. I added chlorine to get the proper water chemistry then I added 6 - 40 pound sacks of Morton's professional pool salt & let the pump & vacuum run for 24 hours then turned on the Aqua Trol . the salt reading said 2700 & the add salt light was blinking so I turned off the Aqua Trol and added 3 more bags of salt & let the pump & vacuum run 24 more hours the reading is still 2700 & add salt light is blinking but the generating light is on and the main switch is on auto 100 % The Diagnostic Display reads as follows
1. pool Temp 82
2. cell voltage 25.5
3.cell current 3.07
4. desired output 100 %
5. instant salinity -2500
6. AL-6
7. software r1.45
Why is the salt reading number not changing & is my estimate of pool gallons of about 16,500 gallons correct Thank You Barbara McVey
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  Poolservice123 replied 4 months ago.
Excellent on waiting the 24 hours before turning on the unit. The unit prefers a level of 2700 - 3400 however no salt test is completely accurate and you may be off by enough to cause the blinking light. First I would have the salt professionally tested so that you have something to compare your unit to. Most in store tests are done on a Myron Meter and are within 300 ppm of the homeowner unit. Is this a new Aquatrol or an older unit? Upon set up or changing of a cell the "average salt level" (I know it says instant current salt level but it is actually an average salt level) needs to be reset.
RESET Procedure:To reset, turn the unit to Off and then back to Auto. Wait for the relay to click (5 to 10 seconds)Press Diagnostics button 5 times to display Instant Salt level. Wait for the number to settle. This should solve your problem if there is enough salt in pool.
Gallons in your pool are approximately 13,298 for a rectangle 28x17x46"You will need to add cyanuric acid also to the pool. As you are on well water you should not have phosphates which can seriously affect the way a SWG (salt water generator) works. However if you added any type of metal inhibitor you need to check for phosphates as that is how they usually get into a pool.