Poolservice123, CPO, CPI, CBP
Experience:  40+ yrs, NSPF Instructor, NC Licensed SwimPool Contractor

After draining my hot tub and refilling I am not getting any

Customer Question

After draining my hot tub and refilling I am not getting any flow from the jets. The motor is running but no water movement. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank You Garry
JA: Sometimes pool issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Pool Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: No movement from jets or through filtration
JA: Is there anything else the Pool Technician should be aware of?
Customer: Everything is working except no water movement
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Pool Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  Poolservice123 replied 5 months ago.
YOu have what is called an "air lock". Due to the configuration of pipe you can get an air pocket that is surrounded by water and it "locks" the flow of water. To move this it has to be broken by air or water. Usually when filling the tub you should put the garden hose into the pipes that the filters fit into as this helps prevent the air lock. You can also try opening the union (white screw on piece) on the front of the pump (while the pump is running) just a bit so that air can be sucked into the system which will also break the lock. Many hot tubs will have a small petcock type plug next to the filters but above the water line that can also be opened to let air in the system just for this purpose.