Poolservice123, CPO, CPI, CBP
Experience:  40+ yrs, NSPF Instructor, NC Licensed SwimPool Contractor

Why does my propane gas pool heater have black smoke coming

Customer Question

Why does my propane gas pool heater have black smoke coming out of it when I turn it on? Please advise. Thanks, Lance.
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  Poolservice123 replied 5 months ago.
This is the indication that the heater has been what we call "sooted up". This happens when the gas has not been properly burned off. The gas regulator can be not working correctly and allow too much fuel to be introduced to heater or there could be a blocked combustion chamber (venting). When the unit is taken apart you will find this soot on the inside as well. Usually a certified pool service person or any gas company can check the flame to see if it is too rich and replace the regulator valve. Also the unit needs to be checked each year before opening for animal nests etc. that may have collected inside and outside the heater as well as the flue stack if any.