Poolservice123
Poolservice123, CPO, CPI, CBP
Experience:  40+ yrs, NSPF Instructor, NC Licensed SwimPool Contractor
67374415

My spa will not turn on and the display screen is flashing

Customer Question

My spa will not turn on and the display screen is flashing dashes (watch dog error) Any idea what the issue could be? I have been unable to find any repairmen within 200 miles from my house and dont really know where to even begin to troubleshoot this thing.
Thanks
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  Poolservice123 replied 6 months ago.
IF there was a loss of power or power fluctuation the spa may need a full re-start to remove the error. This is the easiest thing to start with. Turn off power for 5 - 10 minutes at breaker and then turn on again. YOu may need to reset the temperature set point. If that does not remove the dog gone dashes then question the flow on the hot tub. You should have received a "FLO" or "OH" error recently before the watch dog. This would indicate a need to clean your filters or replace them if they are over 2 years old. If they are not older and you rinsed them you may want to soak them in a filter cleaning solution. If still having problems then you need to look at display on the tub immediately as it gets turned on. Very briefly it may display an error code or spa temperature that would be abnormal. You may need someone standing there as the power is turned on as it would go to watch dog very quickly. Last resort is to inspect the circuit board for any burn marks, loose wires, broken wires, bulging ends on capacitors. Check the back of the board as well. If you see something abnormal and need to replace the board (no way to test the board) then there is a label on the board with numbers and letters and this is the key to finding a correct circuit board for you particular tub.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I was able to get the error code to reset and the tub is working fine now. After reading blogs on this issue for several hours yesterday I was able to find a few things to try. What ultimately fixed my issue was 1 - turn off the power. 2 - unplug the J6 connector. 3 - turn the power back on and the error came up different. 4 - turn the power back off. 5 - plug the J6 connector back in. 6 - turn the power on and everything works great. I hope this helps other people with this same frustrating issue.
thank you as it usually does not take a complete unplug to reset. I learn something new as well. Thank you so much for your response.
These spas talk to you and tell you what's up if you know what language they are speaking!!!