Poolservice123, CPO, CPI, CBP
Experience:  40+ yrs, NSPF Instructor, NC Licensed SwimPool Contractor

I am having an issue with my Aqualink RS not turning on the

Customer Question

I am having an issue with my Aqualink RS not turning on the salt cell while in auto mode. I can get the cell to come on if i put it in service mode or turn on boost mode. But the auto program I set on the PDA won't activate the cell. Everything else that is set to an automated program, i.e. cleaner, pump, waterfall, lights all come on and go off as scheduled. And I know the salt cell works because it cranks out chlorine whenever I put it in boost mode or turn it to service mode and turn up the chlorine % on the panel. Also, no matter what chlorine % I set on the PDA, the outside panel will always read 00% and will not allow me to adjust it unless I put it in service mode. It will say JA which just tells me it's being controlled by the auto program which I already know. One other thing that might help is, when the PDA cyles through its various screens, it tells me the salt level, what's running at the time, and then it says "jandy epump offline". Hope this helps! Thank you so much!
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  Billy replied 5 months ago.

I am very sorry your question has not been picked up yet.

I just logged on and found you had not been assisted.

Please let me know if you still need help and I will do my best. Please do not "Rate" as we have not worked toward an answer yet.

If you would like to proceed let me know by replying. Once again use reply

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hey Billy, thanks so much for responding! Was beginning to think they'd forgotten about me. :) Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated
Expert:  Poolservice123 replied 5 months ago.

The SWG (salt water generator) will not operate when the pump is off. It must have f.low to cell to be on After the pump goes to it's auto mode the SWG will come on within a few minutes. When the pump is on the SWG may not "generate" unless it is in "boost mode" The percentage you set is the percentage of time the SWG comes on during a 24 hour period. So the pump may come on and there may be a 0% generating at that time. Of course when the pump is on and you have manually put it in "boost" it will be at 100%. Try turning on the pump with your PDA and then turn on the SWG. Give it some time and see if it is working. The PDA is getting the other commands done so there is no breach in communication. The SWG works in service mode so it sounds like either an understanding or programming error.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hello! Thanks so much for responding to my question. I've had some difficulty getting anyone to reply, so I really appreciate it. Now, to my question. I have set the chlorine rate to 100% on the PDA and left it there, yet when the pump is on, the SWG never comes on, and the LCD screen on the outdoor panel will still say chlorine rate at 00%. The flow indicator light will be on as well. I called Jandy tech service, and they couldn't make any sense out of it. I sure hope you can help me. Thanks

IF the flow indicator light is on it means there is not enough rate of flow. All equipment demands a certain amount of flow so that damage is not done. If the SWG thinks there is not enough flow then it will shut down in order to protect the system. This is usually a low flow problem. These items need to be checked:

Is water level in pool up high enough so that when the pump is running air is not being pulled into the skimmer?

Is there any air in the pump?

What does the pressure gauge on your filter read? Is it time for you to backwash a sand or DE filter/ clean a cartridge filter?

Are the skimmer baskets at the pool empty?

Check all of the above before we look at other programming items as it seems the control is working. Let me know.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Forgive me for the delay, I left for vacation the day after we started the conversation. Didn't have access to wifi on the trip. Back home now and checked all the things you mentioned. Getting good flow, no air in the pump, backwashed sand filter, good pressure reading, clean skimmers. All check out. Still having to create chlorine by turning boost mode on. Generates chlorine fantastically, but have to manually turn it on and off at the panel by holding down the temperature button for ten seconds. If I turn boost mode on from the PDA, it will say boost is on on the PDA screen, but not on the outside panel, and the SWG does not come on. Thank you and look forward to your insight.
Expert:  Poolservice123 replied 4 months ago.

I would check the relay to the chlorine generator. It could be bad. OR you could first try reprogramming it into the system. IF you are NOT getting a flow light on then it is in the communications of the controller and the PDA.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok, I will give the reprogramming a try. Should I completely clear the memory and then reprogram everything, or is there an easier way?

You should be able to just change the generator to come on 1 hour after the filter and shut off 1 hour before the filter.