Fix my Pool and Spa
Fix my Pool and Spa, Owner / Technition
Experience:  Over 24 years in pool and spa service and construction

Odd condition with my Sundance Optima spa. 12 years old, JA:

Customer Question

Odd condition with my Sundance Optima spa. 12 years old,
JA: Sometimes pool issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Pool Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: My Sundance optima was made in 2001 i believe.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Pool Technician should know?
Customer: Right now the OH symbol is on, the temp reads 112 degrees, but the actually temp is in the high 80's. middle pump is now deactivated.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Pool Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  Fix my Pool and Spa replied 5 months ago.
Ok well by middle pump I assume you are referring to the smaller circulation pump and that is normal when the spa thinks the temp is @ 112. The OH is an error code for overheat and being that you said the actual temp is in the 80's I believe the issue is a bad Thermostat. You need to replace the thermostat sensor, I recommend replacing both the thermostat and the high limit as they work in conjunction with each other and if one went bad the other is not far behind. Open the control box to expose the circuit board and with the breakers off find the place on the board where the sensors plug in and trace the wires back to the High Limit and Thermostat. The high limit is located on the heater housing and the thermostat is usually in or near the filter box.