Pete, Electronic Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience installing and repairing electronics.

Jandy PDA handheld 1.38 is stick in "waiting" mode. I attem

Customer Question

Jandy PDA handheld 1.38 is stick in "waiting" mode. I attempted to change the channel and put the jbox in learn mode, but the i never got the next instruction on the pda to turn learn switch off. PDA still stuck in waiting mode
Jay Wolitz
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.
Hi Jay,If the handheld is stuck in waiting mode then it has just lost the connection.You will have to go through the RF setup directions to fix this:1. At the Transceiver J-box, remove the cover to expose the PCB2. On the Handheld Remote, press and hold both the UP and DOWN arrows simultaneously for three (3) seconds. After 3 seconds, the CHANNEL SETUP screen appears. Select a channel.3. Use the UP and DOWN buttons to highlight the desired RF channel. Then press SELECT.4. When the RF channel is selected, the following message appears on the handheld display screen: Set slide switch on J-Box PCB to the LEARN MODE.5. At the PCB in the Transceiver J-box, slide the Learn Switch to LEARN (ON).6. Once learned, slide the Learn Switch back. Let me know if that works for you?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Pete,I have tried that with every channel and when I wait for the learn mode to stop and indicate it has been learned. However, on every channel I try it does not appear to ever learn the channel (i.e. on the PCB it never leaves the learning screen). I have to assume either the PCB or the JBox is bad. What is your recommendation as a next step.Thanks
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.
If that doesn't work, then the handheld is not communicating with the J-Box, and either one of them could be at fault - next step would be to try using a replacement handheld - if it works ok, then your original handheld has a fault.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Was able to get the pda and jbox to connect and pda to start functioning but when pda shut off and I turned it back on again it was stuck at waiting again.So assuming either the pda is bad or the jbox is bad, is my choice simply to buy a new one of the pda and hope it's the problem and if it's not buy a jbox and end of paying for a new one of each. Sounds silly, but is it possible to get a loaner pda ?