tomen99, Handyman
Experience:  Certified pool operator and maintenance supervisor

I have a Haywood ecostar pump and a pentair fns plus DE filter.

Customer Question

I have a Haywood ecostar pump and a pentair fns plus DE filter. When the pump stops, I hear gurgling from my water feature and I can feel and slightly hear water going backwards in the filter. I also see the de water flowing backwards I my pump and into the pool. I have tried to bleed any air out of the filter while it was running several times but I never hear any air come out. I only see water come out right away. Also there are no check valves in the system. And there never has been any check valves. Any ideas why it's flowing back into the pool now after several years of working fine?
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  Billy replied 6 months ago.
I am very sorry your question has not been picked up yet.I just logged on and found you had not been assisted. Please let me know if you still need help and I will do my best. Please do not "Rate" as we have not worked toward an answer yet. If you would like to proceed let me know by replying. Once again use reply
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No one has helped me yet. I am still looking for a solution. On additional piece of information. If I do turn off my water feature , the de water does not flow back into the pool. But again, it's been running with the water feature on for the past 2 years. I'm not sure what has changed.
Expert:  tomen99 replied 5 months ago.
There probably should be a check valve after the pump to maintain prime. Are you certain there isn't one? There is no explanation for the siphon affect if there haven't been any changes to the system.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I agree but I don't see one anywhere unless it's underground. I'll try to attach pictures.
Expert:  tomen99 replied 5 months ago.
Have you noticed any water loss? Is it possible the feature pipe is broken underground? Can you try plugging the feature outlet and see if that stops the backflushing?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
As noted above I have turned off my water feature. Since I live in Arizona we have a lot of water loss, but I can tell that the water loss with or without the water feature is the same.
Expert:  tomen99 replied 5 months ago.
When I say plug it I mean leave the valve open and try to but plastic or a towel to block the outlet