Poolservice123
Poolservice123, CPO, CPI, CBP
Experience:  40+ yrs, NSPF Instructor, NC Licensed SwimPool Contractor
67374415

I added 5 bags of salt and the water turned green. I cleaned

Customer Question

I added 5 bags of salt and the water turned green. I cleaned the cartridge filter thoroughly and the pump is running fine. I added stabilizer and turned on superchlorinate. Will it eventually turn blue?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: That's it
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Pool Technician should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Pool Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  Poolservice123 replied 7 months ago.
It may turn blue but it depends on a few things. Is the water a clear green? If so, this can be an indication of metals being present in the water and a reaction of the metal and the chlorine combination. It will filter out in time but could re-occur if not treated for the metals to prevent this reaction. If it is a cloudy green it may indicate algae present in the pool and you will need to use other chlorine to kill it. The chlorine generator does not produce enough chlorine to kill algae. Metals can come from well water, heaters and salt that is not "pool salt".I hope this helps you and gives you direction on what to do. A local pool store can test your water for metals.