Poolservice123
Poolservice123, CPO, CPI, CBP
Experience:  40+ yrs, NSPF Instructor, NC Licensed SwimPool Contractor
67374415

We converted our fresh water in ground pool to salt water.

Customer Question

We converted our fresh water in ground pool to salt water. The surface is now stained with a brownish color. Is it ruined? It does not brush off, is there a chemical that can fix it and make the surface look clean again.
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  Poolservice123 replied 9 months ago.
It sounds like a metal stain from either metals already present in the water and then chlorine level being brought up OR if you did not use "pool salt" you may have added metals that are commonly found in lesser salt products on the market. How long have you had the stain?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
3 weeks or so
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
We did use pool salt
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The water tested a little high chlorine , but we fixed that
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Are you still there
I'm hereHad to be excused
Ok, you should be able to remove the stain. What type of pool surface do you have? What is your Total Alkalinity Ph and Cyanuric acid readings?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Fiberglass don't know the readings, have to have my husband do that can you tell me what they should be
White fiberglass? What brand? Many times if the Total Alkalinity in a pool is low, you will not test for metals present in the water but as you add the salt the alkalinity of the water increases and the metals come out of solution causing the stain. Also, I have found in the area that I am in all of the white fiberglass pools made in Honduras (and a few other brands) have a problem with this staining.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
White
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Alaglas pools
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Are the stains permanent and the surface ruined
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
We are in SC
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Are you still here
Yes
Yes, this is another brand that this happens on. Still not sure why. However, you will be able to remove it. You need to purchase Natural Chemistry Stain Out. It is an ascorbic acid that will remove the stain. You also add Metal Out to keep the metals in solution.
Both are by Natural Chemistry and available at most pool stores. Follow the directions. Low chlorine reading is imperative for it to work correctly. If you are near Easly go see Jane at Anchor Pools.... a friend of mine. Take a water sample to the pool store to check the other levels as directed on the bottle.The next step is to keep this from happening again.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
So how do we prevent this from happening again
First is to maintain the chlorine level in the proper range. SWG (salt water generators) are notorious for producing chlorine and nobody checks it weekly so it doesn't get adjusted for the temperature for the season etc. Also keep your Total Alkalinity, Calcium Hardness and pH in range.Second is to keep a maintenance dose of some type of sequester in the pool. I recommend Jack's Magenta. This has worked the best.BUT...if the stain occurs again you may have to remove it again. Check your pool for metal objects such as a heater. If you have a gas heater you need to by-pass the heater when not using (BE SURE to by pass this before doing the Stain treatment). DO NOT use a copper algaecide.
While you treat the pool for the stain, you will want to brush the pool walls.I have a pool store (since 1999 in this area) and the staining on your pool is more common than I like to see. I have one customer that went at this hard to determine why and never could. He kept his chlorine low etc. He ended up getting off of salt and going with a FROG System and has not had anymore problems. With all my years experience I do not know why. I do not see this happening in other pool brands such as any of the Latham pools (Viking, Trilogy, Blue Hawaiin, etc). We were worried that using the acid to remove the stain would remove the gel coating so be careful how many times you do a stain removal.