tomen99
tomen99, Handyman
Experience:  Certified pool operator and maintenance supervisor
63148040

I have a Pentair pool heater. It fires up and starts heating

Customer Question

I have a Pentair pool heater. It fires up and starts heating and about a minute later shuts down and go's to service heater light. You have to power off to get board unlocked. When power it back up the only codes that appear are 128 and R=8
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  tomen99 replied 7 months ago.
I know it sounds elementary but I would start by cleaning out the combustion chamber and taking a scour pad to the flame sensor. Also make sure you are getting proper water flow through the unit and there are no obstructions on the inlet or exhaust air pipe.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I by passed water flow sensor and still fired up and then shut down and went to service heater. I checked intake and exhaust intake/outlet and no obstructions. Where is the flame sensor located exactly? It is firing up and starts to heat then shuts down after a few seconds as heater light goes on. No error codes are showing on panel and no bilking light red light on control box inside heater.
Expert:  tomen99 replied 7 months ago.
It will be by the pilot assembly. You should try to vacuum or blow out that area too
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
These have not fixed my issue with the heater