tomen99
tomen99, Handyman
Experience:  Certified pool operator and maintenance supervisor
63148040

I am having issues with used hot tub

Customer Question

I am having issues with used hot tub
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  tomen99 replied 7 months ago.
is it possible to switch the wiring of the pumps to see if it is the controls or the motor? Flo error means the flow switch didn't make. It could be bad. Is pump 1 pumping water when it is on? Could the filters or something else be clogging up the line?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I rinsed the filter, the control pack has special fittings so I can't switch the pumps easily. the manual for the control pack says that FLO indicates no water but how can that be when pump one can work from as much as a minute pumping water before the kicking on and off problem starts. It has also said flo for a long time but usually managed to correct itself. Also I noticed that when I was messing around I disconnected the wire from the start capacitor and it did not seem to affect anything? I might try and switch the pumps but it's thought because of above and they have the water heating jacket on them. I guess I need to know how to wire the start capacitors because I was changing things I did not note the prior wire connections
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
When I press the pump one button I hear it trying to start the pump but sometimes it does for a few seconds and other times it does not.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Based on earlier information I had thought maybe the start capacitor was the issue so I switched the start capacitor from one pump to the other and it seemed to work for a bit and then started with the off an on issue again.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am working the early shift tomorrow so off to bed, if you can give me anything that I can try that works or how to wire the start capacitors I wil be happy to pay.
Expert:  tomen99 replied 7 months ago.
They are 120v pumps correct? Do you have a meter that can check both capacitors for mfd? Normally start capacitors will have two of the same color wires
Expert:  tomen99 replied 7 months ago.
If you have had flo errors in the past I would look for the flow switch in the plumbing and where it connects to the board and jumper it out to see if that solves it.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
One has 2 black wires (on pump one the non working one) and one has an orange/brown and yellow wire. I do have a volt meter and can play around tomorrow after work.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It might be too complex for an on line answer or maybe I am just not smart enough. If I make any progress with your info I will give you the necessary rating.