poolguy810, owner - pool and spa service company
Experience:  Servicing pools and all brands of spas for over 28 years.

I'd like to remove all diamond brite in my pool there is too

Customer Question

I'd like to remove all diamond brite in my pool
there is too much cracksI already empty the pool, and stated to remove the diamond brite
In some location seems easy, but other are realy stuckWhat is the best way to remove this Diamond brite ?
With Chimicals ?ThanksPaul
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  Poolservice123 replied 6 months ago.
The best way is to chip it, water blast it, lastly if and only if needed sandblasting. The most important part is to not gouge the gunite shell and keep the shell intact. Listen for hollow sounding spots in the shell as these will need to be repaired before re-surfacing. Be sure your hydrostatic valves are open to prevent the pool from "popping" out of the ground if you are in an area that could have a high water table.I just looked at the picture. What is the blue wall made of? This doesn't look like a gunite shell. Was it some type of form wall and a gunite bottom?
I hoping that is the bond coating on the pool. Here is a link to a page from one of our industry magazines. It contains some tips. The prep before the next finish is crucial to the new finish. And chipping is the best way to remove....
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The wall seems made in concrete (I don't know what is a gunite), I suppose there was a blue paint before the diamond brite.. also found green paint
Gunite or Shotcrete is what is sprayed over the rebar that forms the pool shape and gives the structure strength. After it is applied (the two are different just depending on what type of machine is used). A bond coat is applied, this allows the finish to adhere. All of that is done after any repairs, tiling etc. It could have been paint at one time and the Diamond Brite finish applied. If you reveal paint as the next layer you will need to prep that accordingly depending on what finish you are going back with. My hat is off to you for your ability to take on such a job if you have not done this before.