poolguy810
poolguy810, owner - pool and spa service company
Experience:  Servicing pools and all brands of spas for over 28 years.
32482502

I have a Sundance Chelsee hot tub that the control panel is

Customer Question

I have a Sundance Chelsee hot tub that the control panel is set at 95 degrees now but the temp runs about 3 - 4 degrees hotter than the setting. We've replaced the sensor just this past week but that didn't do the trick, so what would be next. I asked the service guy when he was out but he didn't seem to know what else to try hence, I'm trying to pursue the cure myself. :)
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I'm not sure else other details you would be asking for
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Pool and Spa Experts generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  Poolservice123 replied 7 months ago.
The industry standard for difference in readings between sensor and digital display is 2-3 degrees. When operating the tub it is possible to gain heat from a pump running or hot sun on the outside. However to adjust the sensor to the actual temp within the difference is difficult at best. When the temp runs higher does the display change to show the higher temp or does it stay at 95?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes, it does show the higher temp..the problem is, this thing used to be right on or very close. I know 3 degrees doesn't sound like much but if set at 98 and you get in and 101..the 3 degrees feels really hot. Thanks in advance
Bob
I understand that difference is a lot. And it is really bothersome to have to set the tub at one temp to achieve what you want. The tub can gain heat with longer pump runs or outside temp and increased usage of spa. A lot of heat comes off the motors and can transfer to the hot tub water. Placement of sensor can make a difference also. Have you been using the tub more? Do you live in a warm area or is the tub in direct sunlight at this time of year? There is no way to "tune" it in other than setting it for a lower temperature. This is common on the hot tubs of 250 gallons or less that we have to set a lower temp than what is wanted so that in use the temp does not increase. Unfortunately the manufacturer of equipment has the answer of "set the temp lower".
When I say I understand ....I mean I use a hot tub and the difference between 102 and 104 is very measurable to my body...
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I guess I didn't explain myself well enough. The hot tub is under cover and it doesn't seem to make a difference if it's 70 degrees outside or minus 10 degrees outside. The tub is sheltered from above and it has a tub enclosure which is about 14 x 14..the tub holds approx. 450 gal and has always been close to being right on temp wise, 1 degree has or is good but 3 and 4 is not! Why have a digital thermostat display if it's useless, I might as well be like a weatherman and say it's possible to rain today when they look outside and see it's raining. There has to be something that has messed up something to sway the water temp that much and my question is, what is it. Controller board, circuit board or?
Thanks in advance
Bob
It would not e the topside control readout. The sensor sends the temp to the circuit board and then to the topside. The sensor is new so we will assume it is good. However the service man can check the sensor using a standard electrical chart to be sure. When there is an error with the spa the Diagnostics should give you an error code on the topside. I am assuming you are not getting an error code (COOL, CO, SN) since you have not mentioned. It could be the circuit board either isn't detecting the temp difference yet OR that the board is bad. You can inspect the board for loose wires or burn marks on the front and backside which would be indicative of a problem. On this symptom which is common either the spa will continue to increase in an overheat situation which would signal a high limit to switch the heat off and therefore pointing more to a board. Circuit boards can be pricey so usually we wait to see if the problem persists and increases. Most people will set the tubs to a different temp before paying hundreds of dollars. However if you replace the circuit board you will need the product code number on the sticker that is on the board.