tomen99, Handyman
Experience:  Certified pool operator and maintenance supervisor

I have a Jandy FHPM 1-1/2 FloPro pool pump. Yesterday

Customer Question

Hi! I have a Jandy FHPM 1-1/2 FloPro pool pump. Yesterday while I was cleaning the filter the pump timer went on and the water overflowed the pump, probably getting dirt inside it.
Since then, the pump starts, overheats, and stops. There is some smoke coming out of it and smell like plastic burning.
Is it possible to open the pump and clean it? or is it time to replace it?
Also, if I can do it myself, please recommend as much as you can, I'm 100% new at this but I'm pretty handy.
Thank you!!!
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  tomen99 replied 6 months ago.
The smoke and burning smell is the insulation on the internal windings. It is likely already beyond repair. If the unit is already a few seasons old my suggestion is to replace the complete setup. It may not be the cheapest but if you are saving money on a service call. Go slow and take notes and/ or pictures as you go. It should be very doable.