tomen99
tomen99, Handyman
Experience:  Certified pool operator and maintenance supervisor
63148040

Sundance optima 850 does not have any power, circuit board

Customer Question

Sundance optima 850 does not have any power, circuit board is good as I just got it back from the repair shop which nothing was wrong with it. 240v coming in (2x 120v wires of course) checked all fuses and they are in good shape. What else can it be?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: That's about it, just no power and tried everything circuit board 6600-056
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Pool and Spa Experts generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  tomen99 replied 7 months ago.
Did you remove the fuses to check them?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes I did, took them out and check the ohm, 3 dif fuses and they were all "beeping"
Expert:  tomen99 replied 7 months ago.
Can you double check there isn't another fuse. Perhaps not on the board itself?
Expert:  tomen99 replied 7 months ago.
And you have 240v measured between the legs right? Not 120v to ground per leg.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
There's 2 little fuses on the board and 1 main big fuse not on the board
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
244v between both, no ground being used
Expert:  tomen99 replied 7 months ago.
Is the transformer on your board able to be unplugged? You can try unplugging and plugging that back in along with your display. If the repair shop tested on their display and it worked there is a good chance yours is bad.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Transformer is new and I sent the display with the circuit board and the guy sent a picture of the whole setup working like it would be normally.
Expert:  tomen99 replied 7 months ago.
Can you get your meter leads on terminals j1 and j2 with power still connected?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes, power between them is 244v, 122very grounded each
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
And also disconnected them and still reads the same
Expert:  tomen99 replied 7 months ago.
Ok then the next the I would suggest is unplug everything besides the power and the control panel and see if it works.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is it supposed to have the control panel on when just the power and the panel connected? I have original control panel and a new replacement one, neither turn on when connected with only power connected to the circuit board
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I don't know if adding a file which is a picture is attached but I have the photo the repair guy sent me with the circuit board and the original control board
Expert:  tomen99 replied 7 months ago.
You would likely get an error but there should be something. You could plug the sensor block back in to j6. I am unfortunately running out of ideas at the moment.
Expert:  tomen99 replied 7 months ago.
Is the board touching anything behind it?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Nothing when j6 sensor harness plugged in, I peeled the circuit board away from the panel so there would be no chance anything would be touching the back and still nothing.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'll email the repair guy and see how he got the control panel to turn on.
Expert:  tomen99 replied 7 months ago.
That is a good idea. I wish I could offer more at this point.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
If the repair got it to work but not me in the hot tub panel, could it be something with the grounding of the wires?
Expert:  tomen99 replied 7 months ago.
Possibly. If you were checking voltage to them they should be ok. You can actually check them with continuity to the ground or a cold water pipe