Mike R.
Mike R., Plumber
Experience:  i have been doing plumbing work for 20 years with alot of experience in service work
64367226

I have a leak from the pipe leading from the back of the main

Customer Question

I have a leak from the pipe leading from the back of the main pump that goes to the sand filter. It is 2 pieces of pipe that sit on top of each other and a large plastic nut holds the connection together. Is there some type of sealant I can use. Have tried Teflon tape to no avail.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Anything else I can tell the Pool Technician before I connect you two?
Customer: No
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Pool Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  Mike R. replied 7 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I have been in the plumbing and repair field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. The seal is actually not made on the threads of the nut that you put teflon tape on. The fitting is a union fitting and the nut is tightened to the flat flanges inside the fitting. You would need to remove the teflon tape and if tightening the nut does not stop the leak then loosen the nut and the flange of the union has an O-ring. You would need to replace the rubber O-ring or be sure the O-ring is seated in the slot.
Expert:  Mike R. replied 7 months ago.
I haven't heard from you. Was the information I provided helpful?
Expert:  Mike R. replied 6 months ago.
I would hope that during our ongoing conversation that you have been provided the information needed to solve the issue you are having but I will not know that without a response from you. My goal is to get you the answers you seek but I have no way of knowing if you have gotten the information you are looking for without either a positive rating or request for more information from you.