tomen99, Handyman
Experience:  Certified pool operator and maintenance supervisor

I have a solana tx that is not heating. the digital display

Customer Question

I have a solana tx that is not heating. the digital display shows nothing unless you push temp up or down. Then it only shows the setting. goe off after a few seconds.
JA: I'll do all I can to help, Solana tx that is not heating. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: it is a 110 volt unit. If I ground my VOM and test the terminals on the heater, they each have a reading of 110 volts
JA: Anything else I can tell the Pool Technician before I connect you two?
Customer: I think thats it
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Pool Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  tomen99 replied 6 months ago.
If you have voltage to the heater on both sides it should be heating. Disconnect power. Disconnect heater and test for continuity. If it reads open lead then you need to replace the heating element.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I only have power to either if I ground one lead and check one at a time. If I put a lead on each terminal I get no voltage. The unit is only drawing 3.5 amps with pump running. I suspect the heater relay or the main board. I don't know where the relay is.
Expert:  tomen99 replied 6 months ago.
If you are getting power to the heating element at all and no heat then chances are the coil is bad. Can you adjust the temp set point below what the spa temp is or put it in standby mode while the power is on. If you can stop the "call" for heat my guess is the 110v at the heater will go away.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It turned out to be a defective circuit board.
Expert:  tomen99 replied 6 months ago.
I'm glad you got it figured out. I always try to walk customers through component troubleshooting before exploring the board. It may not be the quickest but circuit boards aren't cheap and often aren't returnable once installed so I want to exhaust all options first. Thanks again for using Justanswer!