Fix my Pool and Spa
Fix my Pool and Spa, Owner / Technition
Experience:  Over 24 years in pool and spa service and construction

I started up my spa after some time disconnected and this morning

Customer Question

I started up my spa after some time disconnected and this morning I saw there was no power to the spa. After opening the panel, I saw that wiring in the spa had burnt (could've caused a fire). It's an 18 year old spa (1998 Sundance Altamar) and I don't know how intensive it would to be repair. I have a pic of the damage.
Category: Pool and Spa
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
To be clear, there originally WAS power, but after a day, it was dead. And that's when I opened the panel. Pic attached.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Before this, it was working fine. Just needed a replacement ozonator, but aside from that, no previous issues with the spa. Does this kind of issue often fry the board or any other components? Want to make sure I'm not investing in repairing a hot tub that has run the course of its lifespan.
Expert:  Fix my Pool and Spa replied 6 months ago.
Yes that is some extensive damage. You could replace the wires but in my opinion I would hire an electrician to do this as the main burnt wire is the main power feed to spa and you would need to remove the entire wire from the spa back to the disconnect box and pull a new wire through. Then replace the other burnt wires above that point in the control box just to see if there is further circuit board damage or any other component that is fried. You have to decide how much you are willing to invest in the spa before you do anything. it looks like there was a major power surge or lightning strike to the spa control box. All those parts are replaceable but at a cost that may be more than you are willing to spend on a 18 year old spa.
Spas can and will last better part of 20-25 years but you will have bad parts every now and again. If the spa itself is in good shape then start with the wires and see if it works ok that would not be too costly and go from there.