Fix my Pool and Spa
Fix my Pool and Spa, Owner / Technition
Experience:  Over 24 years in pool and spa service and construction

I am selling my home in los angeles county. My pool

Customer Question

I am selling my home in los angeles county. My pool equipment is perfectly functional and installed according to codes in 2003 when it was built. Am I required to make changes to meet 2016 codes? I did not have do that for my previous home. Please advise. I think someone is trying to pull a fast one on me
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  Fix my Pool and Spa replied 7 months ago.

Every states laws are different. In New Jersey as long as the pool was installed to codes when it was built and all permits were pulled then the seller has no obligation to make repairs (consult your attorney for legal advise)or meet any new codes as long as they are not renovating pool. Once you start a repair project then yes you must meet current code requirements but if all is working the seller should not have to update the pool, that would be on the buyers to do if desired or needed. Again you need to talk to your attorney in California as no REALTOR is allowed to give legal advise.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is there a pool expert with knowledge of California pool codes? My pool was built with necessary permits. You can't build a pool in LA County without permits and geological survey/inspections and recommendations. Everything was done to code in 2003.

I will opt out so another pool expert in that region can help. I would suggest you post your question to the lawyer section of Just Answer but ask for a Real Estate Lawyer