Fix my Pool and Spa
Fix my Pool and Spa, Owner / Technition
Experience:  Over 24 years in pool and spa service and construction

Will my pump run with heater wires unplugged, My tub is

Customer Question

Will my pump run with heater wires unplugged
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: My tub is tripping the gfi with the heater plugged when I unplug both plugs it does not trip but the red power light flashes and pump won't run
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Pool Technician should know?
Customer: No
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Pool Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  Fix my Pool and Spa replied 7 months ago.

The pump will run without the heater being powered up. The tripping breaker is most likely a bad heater element. Just disconnect the two heater wires but make sure that you make the wires safe with wire nuts and electrical tape. Once you have the heater wires safely taped off you can power up the spa and the pump should run fine. Once you replace the heater reconnect and your good.