Fix my Pool and Spa
Fix my Pool and Spa, Owner / Technition
Experience:  Over 24 years in pool and spa service and construction
30729442

I just wire-up a new Hot Springs 2015 Vanguard hot tub...

Customer Question

I just wire-up a new Hot Springs 2015 Vanguard hot tub... But the 20 amp breaker trips immediately. The 30 amp is ok, until I turn on the 20 amp and and they both trip immediately.
With both hots disconnected from the tub's connection point #5 and #6, breaker is OK. When hot connected to #6, and #5 disconnected breaker is OK. When #5 is connected the breaker trips.
Any ideas why? Thanks in advance for help!
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  Fix my Pool and Spa replied 1 year ago.

OK here is how I diagnose a tripping breaker....

First I do what you already did which is disconnect power from tub, if breaker stays on then we know it is a component. Now I turn off breaker then disconnect the heater wires from board, I turn breaker on if breaker stays on then we know it is a bad heater, if breaker still trips move on to ozone, then blower if equipped, etc until you find the one part that will not trip breaker then replace that part. In most cases I find the heater bad next ozone unit, or blower, lastly the board.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, already disconnected components one at a time... Recirc pump, ozone, jet1, jet2... And tripped each time. I did not disconnect the heater because it is on the 30amp breaker and it has not tripped (unless I flip on the 20amp breaker). Should I disconnect the heater and check as well?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Added a picture of GFCI panel, as well as the IQ2020 control box.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
GFCI panel picture

I would do it just to know that it does or does not trip with heater disconnected. Have you replaced the 20 amp breaker just to be sure that you do not have a weak breaker and it is giving a false trip? I also noticed a black mark in one of the pictures of the board.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unwired heater and still tripped. Could be a weak breaker, but it is brand new. This was a wet display unit, so it was run... Possibly when they disconnected they shorted the board. Is the black on the board what you see when it is bad?

Yes when you see black spots on a green circuit board it usually means a burned out circuit but not always. At this point I would replace the relay board for the heater: Check out here

http://www.slideshare.net/Paul_Dickey/instructions-iq2020withnewrelayboard