poolguy810
poolguy810, owner - pool and spa service company
Experience:  Servicing pools and all brands of spas for over 28 years.
32482502

My spa has 2 buttons and each has a low and gh pressure

Customer Question

my spa has 2 buttons for jets and each has a low and high pressure depending on how many times you push it. When I push the jet 1 button the appropriate jets turn on fine for both low anfd high but when i push jet 2, i can hear a humming sound but no bubbles. Same thing happens when pushing cleaning button - jet 1 jests blow fine but nothing from jet 2 jets. Ideas?
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  poolguy810 replied 1 year ago.

If you're hearing it humming, then it's either seized up, out it could have a bad start capacitor. The only way to determine which one is the problem is to open up the cabinet to get to the pump. If I see a pic of it I might be able to walk you through it. Sometimes the pump will have to be removed from the spa to test it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has 2 pumps that i can see, one smaller one that i believe runs all of the time to keep the water circulating and create the heat pocket in the cabinet. The water runs from the controller to this pump first and then goes to a second, larger pump. If the pump has either of the issues you noted, why do half of the jets seem to operate fine?
Expert:  poolguy810 replied 1 year ago.

You'll normally have over pump that just heats the water on low speed and runs jets on high speed, this is on one half of the spa. The second pump runs there jets on the other half of the spa. That's why it usually helps to see a picture as all spa are plumbed differently.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I will have to take a picture tomorrow evening and send it to you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. There are actually 3 pumps - one small one connected to the controller that runs all of the time and heats the water, then there are 2 identical pumps, 3HP and one on either side of the cabinet and one runs Jet1 and the other runs Jet2. Once i found this 3rd pump, it is obvious that it is the one that isn't running. When switched it on it hums and some smoke came out from in between the pump housing and what looks like a blower on the left end. Attaches are 2 pics of this pump. Any easy way to test or check it out without removing it? If it needs removed, I'm assuming i need to drain the spa? the only shut-off valves i see are at both ends of the small heater pump.
Expert:  poolguy810 replied 1 year ago.

Yeah that's a waterway executive pump. On the very back end of the motor is a cap right in the center of it. If you pop that cap off, you'll have access to the motor shaft. Usually a slot for a flat head screwdriver. If you can get to it, id like to see if it spins freely from the shaft. The start capacitor is under that large hump on the top of the motor if we have to check it out.