poolguy810
poolguy810, owner - pool and spa service company
Experience:  Servicing pools and all brands of spas for over 28 years.
32482502

MY name is ***** *****. I have a MiniMax NT 400 heater, and

Customer Question

HI...MY name is ***** *****. I have a MiniMax NT 400 heater, and I just noticed the other day that it has a steady flow of water coming out of the bottom of the unit when it is on. I am fairly handy, and have fixed many parts on these, but this is a new problem, and potentially significant. I have the flue hood off, so I can see the heat exchange coils and manifold. I don't see any obvious leaks when the unit is on, but the water is clearly flowing from somewhere. Any ideas?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: hmm...not sure how much more I can tell you. The unit does heat, but recently I have also had an issue with the pressure becoming too high and the unit shutting off, even within days after cleaning the filter. I can backwash to reduce the pressure for a day or so, but now I se the leak so I have to believe the two events are related. We have an autistic son, who really needs his spa for stress relief, so I am hoping for a relatively simple solution...I really can't afford to replace the heater.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Pool and Spa Experts generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  poolguy810 replied 9 months ago.

OK, well unfortunately any time a heater is leaking water, it's almost always the heat exchanger, which is pretty expensive for any heater, and especially for a 400k. Do you happen to use chlorine tablets to sanitize?