Fix my Pool and Spa
Fix my Pool and Spa, Owner / Technition
Experience:  Over 24 years in pool and spa service and construction
30729442

I have a MAAX indoor bathroom spa. It is about 10 years old

Customer Question

I have a MAAX indoor bathroom spa. It is about 10 years old and the motor was replaced about 4 years ago. When I fill the tub, lights come on as usual but the motor won't start when I push the Jacuzzi light. I checked the breaker switches in my garage and the test switch on the motor itself, but no luck. All the lights are functioning but motor button does not work.
Barry LeMay
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  Fix my Pool and Spa replied 10 months ago.

Ok well there were a few different ways that they wires these bathtubs, most commonly was an air switch which looks like this

http://www.spaguts.com/products/air-button-with-4ft-air-tubing-kit-239.aspx?gclid=Cj0KEQiArJe1BRDe_uz1uu-QjvYBEiQACUj6omMkFz6wmBfMPKQIlv0cnb4ssJvG8dp7R3n6CeA5lNQaAqrZ8P8HAQ

Now you would press this air switch and it would push a stream of air through clear tubing and down to a switch in the control box which in turn would allow power to go to the pump motor and start the spa. If you press down on this air switch and the button does not rise back up quickly then the air button is dead and replace, if it does work then you need to tract the air tubing down into the control box and test the air switch in there to see if it is allowing power out of the switch to back of motor if not replace that switch from there test voltage at the back of the motor if voltage is good there the pump motor is bad and replace pump.

Now if you have a newer design and there is no air button then you have just an electronic control that goes to a relay on a circuit board inside the control box and you would need to test voltage there and the pump as well.