Fix my Pool and Spa
Fix my Pool and Spa, Owner / Technition
Experience:  Over 24 years in pool and spa service and construction
30729442

I have a jacuzzi j330, FL1 error, i replaced the flow switch

Customer Question

Customer: i have a jacuzzi j330, FL1 error, i replaced the flow switch and still have the problem, when i run a jumper across the flow switch terminal, the heater will come on. i can see that the flow switch does not close.any suggestions
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: FL1, heater will not come on. i followed some troubleshooting techniques and everything seems to come back to the flow switch. the old flow switch had debris on it, i actually instaleed a new one, and the same problem FL1 error.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Pool and Spa Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  Fix my Pool and Spa replied 10 months ago.

You are correct in that if you jump across the terminals for the flow switch and heater comes on then it is indeed the flow switch, now be sure you have the new flow switch in the correct flow direction, a flow switch has a metal pin and a round probe on it and when installed in the see through "T" the metal pin need to be towards the heater outlet also in the flow switch itself there is a small arrow showing water flow direction.

If all this is good then you have a defective flow switch and you will need a new one.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
This is installed correct, this is actually the second flow switch I've installed, could a faulty transformer cause the switch not to close?

Not that I have ever seen, once you said that you jumped across the two small pins on the circuit board where the flow switch plugs in and you had the heater come on I ruled out the circuit board as I have seen a bad board cause the FLO code as well I have seen a bad pump or just a clogged pump cause there to be not enough water flowing through the switch to make it close, if you do not see water flowing through that "T" and the metal pin does not move right then you have a pump issue either the pump is dead and not running or you may have debris in the impeller inside the front housing so you would need to remove the front housing of the pump and inspect the impeller for clogs then re-assemble and turn breaker back on.