poolguy810
poolguy810, owner - pool and spa service company
Experience:  Servicing pools and all brands of spas for over 28 years.
32482502

I have a 1994 Saratoga Adelphi 110 volt, 20 amp hot tub that

Customer Question

I have a 1994 Saratoga Adelphi 110 volt, 20 amp hot tub that "seems to" have a GFCI switch in it (test & reset buttons just like a GFCI outlet on the outside of the tub wiring box).
I am just hooking it up & have a 20 amp gfci breaker. However, the breaker trips almost instantly (< 1 second). I tested with a standard (non-gfci) 20 amp breaker & it does not trip at all.
Is this maybe because of 2 gfci's in the circuit? With the one in the tub itself, do I need/want a gfci breaker?
Yes, I wired the breaker correctly, with the white wire from the tub circuit going to the gfci breaker itself, not the neutral bus.
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  Billy replied 10 months ago.

hello,

at the breaker (gfci) did you run a jumper from the breaker to neutral bar?

Example

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Breaker's built in white to neutral, line from tub: Black to hot on breaker, white to neutral on breaker, ground to neutral bar.Exactly as your pic.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Never mind - I figured it out myself. It wasn't the tub at all, but the white & ground being connected in the outdoor switch box. Pulled the whites off the bus, wirenutted them & all is good.