poolguy810
poolguy810, owner - pool and spa service company
Experience:  Servicing pools and all brands of spas for over 28 years.
32482502

Raypak 2100 pool heater, natural gas, 330k BTU. Keep getting

Customer Question

Raypak 2100 pool heater, natural gas, 330k BTU. Keep getting ILO error message, Ignition Lock Out, no heat.
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  poolguy810 replied 1 year ago.

Can you tell me exactly what process it's going through when you turn it on to heat. Does the ignitor click down below, can you see a pilot light up when it's sparking if you remove the front and look down below the burners on the right hand side.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It clicks, says SPK on the digital display then ILO. My handyman thought he saw a flame at some point in the pilot but he was a bit unsure about it. I couldn't see any flame.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My pool guy says he thinks it might be the ignition and he's going to buy a new one ($300). Should we try anything else before we settle on this?
Expert:  poolguy810 replied 1 year ago.

if it's sending power to the ignitor and making a spark, then it's not the ignition control. When was the last time the heater was working, had it been unused for a while?

Expert:  poolguy810 replied 1 year ago.

Sometimes if it's been a while since a heater has been used, you can get spider webs plugging up the gas line to the pilot, keeping it from igniting. I also see a lot of Raypak heaters that get mice inside the upper unit where the circuit board is housed and they chew up wiring, sometimes damaging the way it runs, so that would be something else to check on as well. I like to do a little troubleshooting before I just jump in and tell someone they need a new ignition control. It may be something very simple like one of the other things I've mentioned, but someone would need to do some testing on it.

Expert:  poolguy810 replied 1 year ago.

I see you had the question closed out. Did my information not help out at all. I never heard back from you after my last posts and we don't get compensated at all if the question is closed. Was there anything else I could help you with? I was just curious why it was closed out while we were still working on the issue. Thanks, jeff