poolguy810
poolguy810, owner - pool and spa service company
Experience:  Servicing pools and all brands of spas for over 28 years.
32482502

I have a 2005 master spa LSX 1050, the heater will not stay

Customer Question

I have a 2005 master spa LSX 1050, the heater will not stay on
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  poolguy810 replied 1 year ago.

What do you mean whe you say it won't stay on? Is the display showing an error code or what exactly are the circumstances as far as how it's running?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No error code, the heater comes on when I turn on a jet but do's not stay on
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Already cleared all the jet ports and filters
Expert:  poolguy810 replied 1 year ago.

The heater should turn on the low speed pump by itself, that's what it uses to heat with. If you're manually having to turn the pump on, then it sounds like your low speed pump may not be activating. Can you open up the spa cabinet to take a picture of the equipment area so I can guide you through some troubleshooting?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sending picture now
Expert:  poolguy810 replied 1 year ago.

Ok got it, can you send one of the whole area so I can see all the pumps etc. Also, the one pump we'reinterested in particularly is that second chord that's labeled "circ pump" that would be the one that runs the heater.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Found a leak at split ring on first pump, replacing gasket now, but that leak was not their last time I was in their when this started
Expert:  poolguy810 replied 1 year ago.

Ok, yes the pump there to the left of the control box is the heater pump. Once you get the leak fixed and turn it on, make sure that pump shaft is spinning, then let me know. Thanks, jeff

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pump works
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could the bad gasket letting air into pump hose be the redone the heat will not stay on ?
Expert:  poolguy810 replied 1 year ago.

Yes, if the gasket was in the pipe that went towards the heater, then it could create an air leak in the pump suction, preventing it from pulling enough water through the heater. Is it still not running the heater?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The heater is running after I primed again. Will need to wait and see if it stays on. The bad gasket was at the end by the control box
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Heater turned off again. Even with circulation pump running. Turned a jet on and heater turned back on
Expert:  poolguy810 replied 1 year ago.

And when the heater turns off, you're not getting any error code at all? If all the sensors are working and you have water flo from the circ pump, you should either have a heater light on, ,or an error message saying what the problem is.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No code
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that's it ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry but telling me to make sure the shaft is spinning is not worth $38
Expert:  poolguy810 replied 1 year ago.

No, sorry, that's not it, but after I spoke with you around 2:30 I had to drive a couple hours to pick up my kids, so couldn't continue emailing while driving, but I'm back home on my laptop now

Expert:  poolguy810 replied 1 year ago.

But here's the thing, if a spa pack has no error codes showing, and the circuit board still won't send power to the heater when it should be, then the only possibility in this situation is a bad circuit board, there can be nothing else. The boards have a high limit sensor, a temp sensor, a pressure switch sensor and two relays for the heater circuit. If ANY of the sensors are defective, either not closing, not opening or stuck in one of those positions, you will get an error code for that issue. Since we have no error codes, the pump is running water through the heater and the temperature is set higher than the water temperature, there's no reason other than a bad circuit board that it would not be heating.